Using too much or too little detergent in your washing machine can lead to poor washing results. When it comes to using the correct dosage of detergent, there are three key facts to consider.
- The amount of dirt in the washing. The more dirty the clothes are, the more detergent that's needed to remove it. You may not see it, but approximately 70% of dirt on clothes comes from the body, such as skin, sweat, grease and other bodily fluids. Only 30% of dirt on clothes comes from external sources, such as food, mud, grass, lotions and creams.
- The size of the washing load. Detergent dosage instructions are based upon a washing machine's drum size, and for good reason. The larger the washing load, the more dirt introduced and therefore the more detergent that's needed to remove it.
- The water hardness level in your area. Hard water contains a high concentration of minerals which need to be softened and neutralised for more effective cleaning results. It's for this reason that detergent manufacturers recommend using slightly more detergent than normal in hard water areas.
Which detergent should I use?
- For white clothes, we recommend using power detergents, as they contain a bleach and optical brighteners which helps keep your clothes bright white. Power detergent can be dosed directly into the washing machine drawer.
- For coloured clothes, use detergent specifically for coloureds / delicates without optical brightener. This will ensure that the colours stay fresher for longer.
- For black and dark clothes, we recommend using special liquid detergents. This detergent type doesn't contain bleach which helps to preserve the colour and brightness of the clothing, ensuring that your blacks remain black and your dark colours remain dark. You can either dose the liquid detergent into the washing machine drawer or place it into the drum via a dosing ball on top of your load.
- Pods are great for ease and convenience as they can simply be placed at the back of the drum and then the clothes can be added on top. You can also purchase washing machine tablets that can be placed directly into the drawer.